Cori Gauff: The Unexpected Wembley 2019 Rise of a 15 Year Old.

Breaking: Labour to back remain as brexit debate continues.
July 9, 2019
Halle Bailey to play Ariel the little Mermaid
Why The Fuss About Halle Bailey Being Cast as Ariel The Little Mermaid?
July 12, 2019


Cori ” Coco” Gauff performance in the 2019 Wimbledon Open caught the attention of many people. 

* How Coco defeated Venus Williams     * Coco second round highlights    * Coco remarkable comeback against Polona

Nobody would have given Gauff a chance before Wimbledon 2019 started. As a young teenager, Coco made a mark that the world will continue to remember for a long time to come. She went to this year Wimbledon with so much passion and self-belief. Cori Gauff popularly known as Coco once said her ultimate goal is to become the greatest ever. She won 2018 French Open junior girls tournament. The young United States tennis player participation in this year edition of Wimbledon Open made her the youngest woman to ever qualify for Wimbledon in the Open Era (since 1968) and the youngest player to enter the main draw at Wimbledon since Laura Robson in 2009. Coco defeated fifth time Wimbledon champion (Venus Williams), former semi-finalist (Magdalena Rybarikova) and Polona Hercog to reach the Wimbledon Open Round of 16.

How Coco defeated Venus Williams

The WTA 313th – ranked player saw off Venus Williams in the first round of the tournament winning on 6 – 4, 6 – 4 to progress to the next round. Coco gave Venus a run for her money during the match. Within 35 minutes, the match was concluded. The defeat was the second time Venus Williams has been beaten in the first round at Wimbledon since her debut in 1997. Venus when asked after the match about Gauff. She said the sky is the limit for the young promising tennis star.

Coco Second Round Highlights

After an impressive first round win over Venus Williams, it was as if Coco was getting well and better into the tournament. The 15 – years old tennis player beat Magdalena Rybarikova 6 – 3, 6 – 3 to advance to the next round of the 2019 edition of Wimbledon Open. During the first set, Cori won 85% serve points. She won 59% of her serve points in the second set. At the end of the match, Cori Gauff had a total of 61/103 points won, leaving Rybarikova with the remaining 41% (42/103).

Coco remarkable Comeback against Polona  

Gauff had to take the match to the third set before she was confirmed winner of the tie. The young teenager beat Polona Hercog in the 3rd round 3 – 6, 7 – 6 (7), 7 – 5 to progress to the 4th round of the tournament. Coco put the first set defeated behind her and came back stronger to win the match. Polona, 28 years old Slovenian tennis player won the first set but the overall brilliance of the young American player in the second and third sets overshadowed the WTA 60th – ranked player performance. Gauff had a total 102/210 points won in the match. Although, Polona had more in 108/210 total points won. Cori was happy with her three Wimbledon wins in a row. She said in an interview after the match: “I mean, I have won 3 matches now, so I think I have proved my own.” She continued saying, “This moment is an incredible moment.” This win made her the youngest player to advance to Wimbledon Round of 16 since 1991.

Cori ‘Coco’ Gauff lost the Round of 16 tie to 2018 French Open winner, Simona Halep on 3 – 6, 3 – 6. But we can arguably say she had an impressive campaign in London. For a girl of her age to go to Wimbledon Open to play and not going about thinking on how she will spend her summer lounging by the beach like other kids. It tells how determined and focused the young tennis player is. Coco had this to say after her defeat to Simona Halep, she said: “I learned how to play in front of a big crowed. I learnt what it was like to be under pressure. I learned a lot and I’m really thankful for this experience. I hope they learned me – that I’m a fighter and I’ll never give up. I hope they learned from me that anything is possible if you work hard, just continue to dream big.” The 23 – time Grand slam champion and Gauff’s idol, Serena Williams called Coco an absolute star. Coco Gauff can only improve and get better. She is being looked now as the future of women tennis when the likes of Serena Williams and other great tennis women players retire. Congratulations Gauff, the 15 years old tennis player that made herself proud and proved to the world that age is just numbers and nothing more.   

Olanrewaju Olakunle
Olanrewaju Olakunle
Contributor: Olanrewaju is a Nigerian, graduate of Geology and Mineral Sciences. a Mobile Developer, Technical Writer and a Sports Analyst Follow Olanrewaju on Twitter - @___Cdf